The SkillForce Your Future programme helps young people to develop the skills and confidence they will need to successfully enter the world of work or post-16 education and training.
Working in partnership with local employers and careers advice experts, it increases young people’s self-esteem and aspiration, whilst teaching them resilience in the face of a very competitive market for apprenticeships, jobs and training placements.
Who is this for?
The Your Future programme is for young people aged 16-19.
This programme is ideal for:
- Students who will leave school at 16 seeking an apprenticeship, a job with training, or a place on a competitive sixth-form course
- Students who will leave school or college at 18 seeking an apprenticeship, a job with training, or a place at university
- Post-16 students who would benefit from additional support to build confidence and skills
“We learn the skills we actually need in life. I have become more confident and a better team worker.”
Maciek, SkillForce student, Wiltshire
What will students gain?
- The opportunity to gain valuable workplace experience through active engagement with local employers
- Development of the skills and attributes such as team working, problem solving, confidence and resilience that are so important to employers and training providers
- Independent Careers Information Advice and Guidance
- Help with job and course searches including CV support
- Preparation for interviews with employers or training providers
- Recognised qualifications
- OCR Level 1 and 2 Awards in Employability Skills
- First Aid qualifications
What does the programme cover?
The Your Future programme is a unique combination of active mentoring, personal skills development, work experience and careers support.
Course content includes:
- A range of activities with local employers designed to develop an understanding of the world of work and what employers expect
- Personal development activities to build self-awareness, problem-solving and team working skills, including taking on a challenge set by a local employer
- Personal presentation and communication training
- CV and interview preparation
- Careers support from leading independent Careers Information Advice and Guidance experts from the Inspiring Futures Foundation
- Job and course search support
How does it work?
The Your Future programme is delivered in school time. Some of the work is classroom based, but there are also off-site activities. The programme can be tailored to your specific requirements. The course is delivered by SkillForce instructors – predominantly ex-Service personnel who understand what it takes to succeed at challenges, work in a team, solve problems and deliver results in highly demanding and pressurised situations. Instructors not only run the course, but also act as role models and mentors to the young people. All are highly experienced in working with young people and have Enhanced DBS/PVG certification. Young people on the course will also benefit from the input of local employers. The SkillForce Your Future programme is supported by leading UK awarding body, OCR, and expert Careers Information, Advice and Guidance specialist, the Inspiring Futures Foundation, as well as businesses at local level.